Login to Complete an RFP Form or to Register for the Summit!
Request for Proposals
The 2019 National Bike Summit takes place March 9-12, 2019 in Arlington, VA and Washington, D.C. If you are a government or business-based bicycle advocate, university bike advocate, bicycle club leader, or an individual who loves to bike, we hope to see you there!
The National Bike Summit turns 20 this year, and our theme is SHIFT: Accelerating the Movement to Build a Bicycle Friendly America for Everyone. In 2000, the first National Bike Summit drew just a few advocates, but started a tradition of regular outreach to federal lawmakers. Twenty years later the National Bike Summit has become a regular gathering of bike advocates from around the country, and the Summit lobby day is now the kick off of the transportation season on Capitol Hill.
Just as the first National Bike Summit symbolized an important shift up in bicycle advocacy, we are ready for the next shift. Our transportation system is being disrupted by innovation – including changes in bicycling with bikeshare and e-bikes; the health world has embraced active transportation as critical to healthy populations; the bicycling advocacy community is working to make sure our work reflects the diversity of the entire bicycling community; and we are seeing increased interest from government, business and university decision makers.
This 20th anniversary of the first National Bike Summit will be a pivot point just like the first Summit. This is our opportunity to both take advantage of what we’ve accomplished and create what we need to move forward to build a Bicycle Friendly America for Everyone.
This Summit we are accepting RFPs on several themes:
- Innovation: What is new and working? – How has your advocacy, education, equity, outreach, and other work changed over the last decade? How have you found new ways to include equity, diversity and inclusion into your organization policies and practices? What have you learned, and what are your short and long-term goals?
- Cultivating new audiences and new partners – Are you working with advocates from the health, housing, or youth sectors? Are you building new business and university partners? Looking for ways to build your club membership?How have you worked with new and different partners? What have you learned, how have those relationships expanded your reach, and what are your recommendations for others?
- Building stronger organizations – How have you recently upped your game when it comes to membership, development or volunteer recruitment? Do you have best practices for event and ride planning? Have you tried new tactics that work with your city or state government? What have you learned that you can share with other Summit participants? (Workshop format encouraged.)
- What is coming next and how should the bicycling community respond? – What new trends are you seeing, or what trend would you like to start? What trend or action would shift bicycle advocacy to the next level? This could be a discussion on equity, outreach, policy, education or any other aspect of bicycling advocacy.
- What else? – This is an open category for you to pitch your ideas!
Proposals can be for panels, workshops, roundtable discussions, mobile workshops or posters. You can propose your own panel, or single presentation and the League will find a place for it. Please consider trying something interactive – we find those always get the best reviews. All proposals will be considered for a presentation and a poster session unless otherwise noted.
On the RFP Form, you will be asked to select one of the following formats:
- Training/Hands-on Workshop
- Debate/Round Table Discussion
- Mobile Workshop
Submit a Proposal:
The RFP is open to the public and will be open until November 1 at 11:59 pm HAST (Hawaiian-Aleutian Time Zone).
Proposals will be considered by a review team. All applicants will be notified of decisions at the end of November.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
The 20th Annual National Bike Summit happens March 9-12, 2019 in Arlington, VA and Washington, D.C. - We hope to see you there!